Current Revolutions, let’s discuss

Forums GCA Forums Discussions Current Revolutions, let’s discuss

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    displayname34
    Participant

Dear E.MAlumni,

last year I published a book in which I criticised post colonial geopolitics together with the dark side of globalisation. Among my theories it was clear to me that the oppression of different peoples in similar ways could have given raise to parallel and similar revolutions. The facts of Tunisia, Albania and Egypt, make me believe that I was not wrong. Other countries around the Mediterranean sea are in a status quo which is very delicate as well.

I would like to know, in particular from fellows originally from those countries or living and/or working there, what do you think about it. What is your experience and what you can tell us more than what we can read in newspapers.

I think it would be a pity if a significant community of Human Rights and Democratisation experts as E.MAlumni Association remains silent while very important facts as those of these days are happening.

I hope to read your numerous comments.

Thank you,

Cristiano

displayname195
    Participant

Ciao Cristiano and all,

It is very intriguing indeed your idea. I think it would be very interesting if you could somehow make a small summary of your ‘thesis’ in your book (a bit wider than what you have proposed above) and possibly provide some additional argumnents. I feel there is a lot in there…

I think it would serve as an excellent starting point  and fuel and the discussion you are proposing.

displayname34
    Participant

Yesterday Al Jazeera published an article entitled “The shaping of a New World Order” which subtitles is “If the revolutions of 2011 succeed, they will force the creation of a very different regional and world system.”

Ulrich Beck argues that there is a silent revolutions that is taking place in the “second modernity”, it was created by the defeat of the myth of progress and of the human ability to control the outcomes of its action (Risk Society). Serge Latouche argues that the human social system has become a “Megamachine” (using Mumford’s terminology) which is not any longer under the control of its creators. Raimon Panikkar argued that the way to peace is not easy but revolutionary

With globalization, injustice and oppression become global as well as homogeneous for those people that are excluded from the big gains (the mirage of the political discourse). For peoples oppressed by the same kind of factors the reaction of one of them could give courage to peoples in similar conditions. Glocal social (and environmental) problems are stiffened by the global economical crisis, they need to be faced with that kind of “ability to plan” that would avoid “catastrophes” (social and environmental). Nonetheless this requires human/social/political wisdom which is hard to identify in political leaders. Finally, I also believe that there is a historical debt of justice from the Nord towards the South and the oppressions of peoples in the South is connected with past and present unjust geopolitical (dis)equilibrium.

Do you agree that resentment against national leaders is balanced with resentment for historical and economical external action/oppression (direct or indirect)?

Which is the extent that this revolution wave can reach? Which other countries can be involved?

Is this unrest caused by oppression and pure lack of democratic values or is there also a seed of structurally unavoidable social-evolution, caused by historical oppression and globalization, behind what is happening?

I am curious to hear from people living and/or working in the Mediterranean countries experiencing protests or facing a delicate socio-political situations what do people on the street say and what they really propose for the long run to overcome the limits of the socio-political model in which they lived until now and how would they act to avoid that another unjust status quo could come again.

Other interesting related Al Jazeera’s articles (1, 2, and 3).

PS: I recommend this short video (1 min) about Mubarak 🙂

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhg15oFCp14]

displayname34
    Participant

Also the Algerian People is raising up… And the words of Gaddafi today were very direct, inciting to violence and death against “enemies”.

I reiterate my questions above plus one new: will we now go to regionalism of revolution? So to say that this is the northern African wave and other regions will follow?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.