Return to Venice
HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDER CLUSTER NOVEMBER 2018: CALL FOR FACILITATORS
Every year alumni are invited to teach the human rights defenders cluster in Venice. This is a great opportunity to collaborate with other alumni and contribute to the current EMA programme. This year the cluster will take place from 5-9 November 2018 and consists of specialist seminars for small groups of students.
The human rights defender cluster will look at the role of HRDs and the current threats and challenges faced given the increasing restrictions on space for civil society. In addition to the legal and policy frameworks we will look at a couple of case studies and develop a practical exercise for the students.
We are looking for 2-3 alumni, ideally with 4 plus years progressively responsible work experience, to contribute to the module with knowledge and practice in:
- Documenting and monitoring human rights violations;
- Advocacy campaigns to protect civil society space;
- Support to human rights defenders.
Ideally your experience could form the basis of a case study – for example the response to:
- restrictive NGO laws and limits on foreign funding;
- threats from large scale business interests;
- limits on freedom of assembly and the right to protest.
FACILITATOR + CLUSTER LEAD 2019
We are also looking for a cluster lead for the coming years. The cluster is led by alumni on behalf of the E.MAlumni Association in close coordination with the E.MA programme director. Key tasks include:
- Agree dates and liaise with E.MA programme director;
- Liaise with board of the E.MAlumni Association and ensuring a strong link between the cluster and the work of the alumni association;
- Prepare call and select facilitators;
- Develop cluster outline, work with facilitators to prepare modules, ensure flow and coverage of key topics;
- Teach part of the module and coordinate during the week;
- Set the essay topic, mark essays and submit marks to E.MA programme director.
To apply to be the cluster lead you should:
- Have more than 6 years progressively responsible experience including specifically related to the work of human rights defenders and threats to civic space as well as experience teaching / leading workshops or seminars.
- Ideally have been a facilitator in the past years / available this year.
- Be engaged / interested to engage further with the E.MAlumni association.
- Be able to commit to being the cluster lead for the next 2-3 years and be available for 1 week per year (in early November).
If interested and available during the week of 5 November please update your profile on www.globalcampusalumni.org and send your CV and a cover letter (each max 2 pages) detailing:
For a Facilitator:
- your experience and how you would contribute to the module;
- a particular case study that you would like to highlight;
- your experience teaching / conducting training sessions; and
- ideas you have for a practical exercise.
For the Cluster Lead:
- your experience;
- how you would develop and lead the module;
- how you have / would engage with the E.MAlumni association
EIUC has limited funds to cover travel within Europe and accommodation. No remuneration is available for that cluster. If you are based outside Europe please let us know whether you would be able to cover part of your travel – for example by combining with work.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com by Wednesday 29 August 11pm CET.
We may contact short listed applicants for a short skype conversation early in September. Please note that those selected need to be / become active members.