Return to Venice – Teach on the Human Rights Defenders Cluster
Return to Venice
CALL FOR APPLICANTS: HUMAN RIGHTS DEFENDER CLUSTER NOVEMBER 2017
Every year alumni are invited to teach the human rights defenders cluster in Venice. This is a great opportunity to collaborate with other alumni and contribute to the current EMA programme. This year the cluster will take place from 6-10 November 2017 and consists of specialist seminars for small groups of students.
The human rights defender cluster will look at the role of HRDs and the current threats and challenges faced given the increasing restrictions on civic space. We will aim to take a couple of case studies and develop a practical exercise for the students.
We are looking for 2-3 alumni, ideally with 4 plus years progressively responsible work experience, to contribute to the module with knowledge and practice in:
- Documenting and monitoring human rights violations;
- Advocacy campaigns to protect civil society space;
- Support to human rights defenders.
Ideally your experience could form the basis of a case study – for example the response to:
- restrictive NGO laws and limits on foreign funding;
- threats from large scale business interests;
- limits on freedom of assembly and the right to protest.
If interested and available during the week of 6 November please update your profile on www.dev.gca.happycatsin.space and send your CV and a cover letter (each max 2 pages) detailing:
- your experience and how you would contribute to the module;
- a particular case study that you would like to highlight;
- your experience teaching / conducting training sessions; and
- ideas you have for a practical exercise.
EIUC has limited funds to cover travel and accommodation. If you are based outside Europe please let us know whether you would be able to cover part of your travel – for example by combining with work.
We may contact short listed applicants for a short skype conversation mid September. Please note that those selected need to be / become active members.